We always think it is good to get to know our riders a little more. Finding out what makes them tick, who they look up to and how they work their days. We had a catch up with 10 year old Tabby!
- Who is your favourite rider and why?
Can’t choose one!! Ben Maher – world class rider perfection on a horse, Tabitha Kyle – she rides to win, amazing to watch in a jump off! Holly Smith – she’s one of the strongest female riders, Joe Clayton – is such a still rider looks like he could ride any horse and is so natural to watch.
- If you could ride any horse or pony in the world, who would it be?
Easy answer – EXPLOSION!!
- What is your favourite and least favourite food?
Roast dinner or chicken wraps are my fav – least favourite food is mustard and courgettes.
- Do you have anything lucky or is there anything you cannot be without on a competition day?
I’m not superstitious at all. You make your own luck.
- What is your least favourite horsey job?
Mum will tell me off but I hate mucking out 😆
- What is the one piece of riding kit you couldn’t be without?
My Samshield riding hat.
- Who do you use as your trainer?
Tanya Kyle is my trainer and coaches me at all the shows. Joe Clayton helps me at home.
- Do you do any other sports apart from riding?
YES netball, hockey, cricket, athletics and I used to do a lot of gymnastics (oh to be young enough to have all that energy!!) but it is showjumping that takes priority now.
- What are your goals with your ponies for this year?
Win HOYS and get to London International Horse Show (Olympia) again.
- What do you like to do when you’re not riding/looking after your ponies?
To jump my Jolly Jumps with my friends and get my nails done!!
- Please can you tell us a little bit about a typical day for you in the week, fitting in school, riding and training.
I train three times a week, and fitting it around school is hard. I often sleep in the lorry overnight and my mum drives me at 4:00am to Leicestershire to train with Tanya Kyle before school. I will often ride or lunge one before school. I get up at 6.00am then as soon as I am home from school I will work any ponies that are left to ride. Then me, mum and dad put them to bed. Then it is homework, dinner is normally around 8:00pm and bed as soon as I can!! I do revision and homework on the way to shows in the lorry at the weekend.
Thank you so much Tabby for a glimpse into your life! All your hard work and dedication is definitely paying off. All the best for the 2023 season.