So you are new to the world of electric bikes, and wondering what is the best practice to get the most out of your e-bike’s battery and to prolong its life span? Great! Well hopefully in this quick start guide we can shine a light on those burning questions, with all you need to know about looking after your e-Bike Battery.
When looking at purchasing a new electric bike, there are various options now on the market varying from brand to brand. We stock a range of bikes with systems from Yamaha, Bosch, MAHLE, Specialized, and Fazua. Each option of motor and battery has its own characteristics, which can change the way you need to care for it.
Regardless of the brand of the e-bike system, a battery will not last forever,. This can be classed as the natural service life of a battery. Unfortunately, you shouldn’t expect an e-bike battery to last forever. It will naturally discharge over time as it goes through charging cycles throughout use and its lifespan. Most systems will be covered by a warranty for up to 2 years, or equal to a specific number of charges. In fact, Bosch themselves state that the battery should be good for around 10 years or 1500 complete charge cycles.
How long does a charge last on an individual ride? Akin to how long is a piece of string, this is a question that does not have one definitive answer. Unknown, infinite, variable, or relative quantities and qualities will affect the distance achieved. Thankfully for us, Bosch has created a fantastic range assistant tool so you can try to work out your effective range as accurately as possible.
The cleaning routine of an e-bike doesn’t differ too much from a standard road, hybrid, or mountain bike – you can use the same principles.
- To get started, make sure your e-bike system is fully turned off.
- If your bike is able to, remove the external battery and/or remove any range extender packs and associated cables.
- Ensure all charge or connection ports are closed or covered, to avoid any water ingress.
- Rinse your bike from top to bottom with low-pressure water to remove loose dirt or mud. (AVOID using a high-powered hose or pressure washer!)
- Clean the frame and wheels with a suitable e-bike-friendly cleaner, with soft bristled brushes to avoid any unsightly scratches or swirls.
- Work backward through the drivetrain to clean away the grime and grease left over.
- Rinse the bike one final time, then pat dry with a drying towel. Especially over the sensitive areas like the TCU and charging ports to ensure no water is left behind.
- Once the chain has been dried, apply a fresh coating of specific e-bike lube for longevity and efficiency.
- You’re finished!
When storing your e-bike battery for long periods of time it is best to keep it partially charged. If you store the battery completely flat then you run the risk of damaging the internals of the cells. Best practices are to keep it in a secure place that is not exposed to extreme temperatures above 30 °C, or below 0 °C, excessive sun exposure, humidity, or condensation. Ideally, you will want to store the bike at temperatures between 10 °C and 25 °C. Unfortunately for us here in the UK, storing your pride and joy in a cold damp shed over the winter months is not the best solution. So, look to bring the bike inside if you can or at least remove the battery.
It is easy to forget how important this stage of e-bike care is when it is something that is done relatively regularly. Letting the battery drain consistently is something that we do not recommend for the long-term health of your system. Aim for at least an 80% charge status for whenever you start a ride. Between rides, charge inside in temperatures between 10 °C and 25 °C. Always use a charger that is approved for use with the bike manufacturer, generally speaking, this is the charger the bike is supplied with. Any replacement charger could invalidate the warranty or damage the battery.
And with that, this should be all you need to know about looking after your e-Bike Battery. Hopefully, you are fully charged with new and insightful information to be able to care for your new e-bike as efficiently as possible!